Part of the Lang Lang area was first settled in 1839 by two settlers, Jamieson and Rawsort, who established a station which they named Yallock, and their homestead was near the Yallock creek.
Yallock changed hands in 1845, and again in 1851, when it was taken up by a partnership of Mickle, Lyall and Bakewell. In 1857, however, the partnership was dissolved and William Lyall became the sole owner. Lyall then obtained a lease from the Government of all the land in the Monomeith and Caldermeade area as far as the Lang Lang River, and in 1860, built the two?storey home "Harewood", on the shore of Westernport Bay. This home can be seen from the South Gippsland Highway about 5 Km south east of Tooradin and is regularly open for inspection.
Other holdings were taken up as grazing land in the Yannathan and Caldermeade areas, the largest of which was 4500 acres owned by Alexander McMillan. This was later subdivided in 1914, and 3000 acres were sold to the Closer Settlement Board for the resettlement of returned servicemen.
In 1890 the South Gippsland railway was opened, and the only stop in the area was at the township of Tobin Yallock, just over the Lang Lang River on the present South Gippsland Highway. This was also a Cobb & Co. stop on the Melbourne to Bass run. Later this township dwindled, and was re?established as Lang Lang on the present site of that town. Lang Lang was formerly known as Carrington, after Lord Carrington. Various reasons were given for the official name change to Lang Lang, but Lord Carrington was not even a Victorian Governor and there was a strong preference for the bush names. The Aboriginal name for "Lang Lang" means "Clump of Trees".
Lang Lang was formerly in the Shire of Cranbourne but now in the newly created Shire of Cardinia.
For further information contact the Lang Lang & District Historical Society.