Lang Lang Hospital building destroyed by fire in 2000

A weatherboard house destroyed by fire in Lang Lang, was at one time the only hospital in the town. The house, on the corner of Main and Whitstable Streets, was used as a hospital in the 1920s and 30s, and many local residents were born there.

Photographed in early 2000, the house was falling into disrepair and was completely destroyed after the fire.
It appears that Sister Maude Bray established the hospital in Lang Lang after the First World War. She later married Mr David Harker. Various other nursing sisters ran the hospital over the next twenty years. They included Sister Sanderson, who later became Mrs Greaves, Sister Ross, Sister Lyons, who left in 1923 to become Matron at Inglewood Hospital, and Sister Connors with her daughter Nell. Sister Marion Palmer (later married to Mr Wally Sparrow) relieved at the hospital in the late 1930s. Many local residents were born at the hospital. .

Dr Harkness established a surgery in his house in Roseberry St from 1912 until 1915, when he left the district. Lang Lang was without a doctor, but in February 1918 the Lang Lang Guardian reported the arrival of Nurse Rowe, appointed by the Bush Nursing Association. In March she made 88 visits to 27 patients.

In the 1920s, the popular Dr Appleford and his wife Sister Alice Appleford came to Lang Lang to provide medical services. Outbreaks of diseases such as diptheria and scarlet fever kept the staff very busy. Sister Appleford was a distinguished nurse who had been awarded the Military medal in the First World War. At Lang Lang she was very active in the Red Cross and Girl Guides and was President of the Mother's Club in the mid 1930s. The four Appleford children attended Lang Lang State School.

In 1902 Dr Daly , physician and surgeon, commenced practice at Mr WalkerÕs residence, and an American dentist visited Kooweerup and Lang Lang fortnightly. One dentist advertised "painless extractions" available every sale day for 2 shillings and eightpence. Another visited the Palace Hotel once a month, with "artificial teeth a specialty".

To raise funds for the Lang Lang Bush Nursing Hospital a Ladies Committee organised events such as the Handsome Man contest, won in 1936 by well-known Lang Lang identity, Mr. George Ridgway.

Residents were disappointed when Dr Appleford enlisted in the Australian Medical Corps during the Second World War, and the hospital was without a doctor. Sister Appleford also enlisted in 1941 and became a Major. She was awarded the Florence Nightingale medal by the International Red Cross. She died in 1968.